Stay Safe On All Your Devices
So, which one should you choose? It depends on just what you need to protect, but we assume you want a suite that at least installs on your Windows and Android devices. McAfee Antivirus Plus is an Editors’ Choice winning antivirus, with protection for unlimited devices. Kaspersky Security Cloud and Norton 360 Deluxe are both Editors’ Choice picks for cross-platform security suites, and both get excellent lab scores on Windows and Android. Bitdefender Total Security likewise pulls in top lab scores and offers a cornucopia of features on Windows it’s our Editors’ Choice winner for security mega-suite. You won’t go wrong with one of these four, but the others have their own merits. Click through the links, read the full reviews, and make your choice.
Are Android Antivirus Apps Safe
There is a massive choice of antivirus apps on the market, and not all those apps are safe. Some are purposefully developed to contain adware and spyware, so it is essential that you dont pick one at random.
If you stick to one of our recommended Android antivirus apps, you will be installing a completely secure program. However, it is essential that you only ever install your antivirus software from the official Google Play app store.
Getting an Android .APK file from an unknown app repository could result in the download of an unofficial version of the application that has been purposefully cloned and infected with malware. To be secure on your Android device, it is essential that you only ever install apps from the official Play Store. Do not accept apps from unknown sources.
Protect Your Android Phone With These Free Antivirus Apps
Although smartphones have become pretty secure lately, there is still a risk of getting hit by malware and spyware. Many apps and web pages come with malicious content that may harm your device and affect its performance.
The antivirus apps mentioned above reduce these risks and boost the speed of your device. And by constantly monitoring your phone, these apps decrease the chances of security breaches and or becoming infected with malware.
However, no matter how good an antivirus app is, it is always good to stay away from all unknown websites and apps and never open a link unless you are sure it’s completely safe and secure. This precaution will save your device from all kinds of threats.
You May Like: Cool Widget Apps For Android
Free Android Antivirus To Avoid
If you are wondering which free Android antivirus to avoid, AV-Comparatives has conducted a thorough research of Android antivirus apps to determine whether they are effective as promised by the developers.
The independent testing lab examined 250 malware protection applications available on the Google Play Store and found that 138 of them detect less than 30% of malware and/or have a high false positive rate.
While many of the ineffective antivirus programs are already removed from the Play Store, we found that some of them are still there.
These are the free antivirus for Android that you should avoid:
- CHOMAR Antivirus Security
- Anti-Virus Scan Apps by SkyMobileTeam
- Mobile Security Master by Utilitarian Tools
Avira Antivirus Security For Android Best Free Antivirus For Android In 2021
Avira Antivirus Security for Android is my top free Android antivirus in 2021 it has an excellent virus detection and removal engine along with a wide range of additional security features, all inside an intuitive dashboard.
During my tests, I tried to download a huge range of Android malware samples to my Samsung Galaxy S20 including viruses, trojans, and spyware. All of the malware files were detected, blocked, and removed from my phone and because Aviras scanner is cloud-based, there was very little strain on my battery life or system resources.
In addition to real-time malware protection, Aviras free Android app provides far more features than any other competitor, including:
- Anti-theft protection.
- VPN .
- App lock.
- Wi-Fi scanner.
- Device optimizer.
Aviras anti-theft features are really useful after logging into Aviras online dashboard, I was able to track my phones location in real time while my partner took it for a drive around our neighborhood. I was also able to trigger a very loud alarm.
Aviras privacy scanner is really good, too. It analyzed all of the apps on my device and notified me which ones had access to my contacts, images, and browsing data. I was pretty surprised to find some free games on my device were actually harvesting my data even when I wasnt playing them!
Recommended Reading: What Is Ar Zone On Android
Top Brands That Didnt Make The Cut:
There are many antivirus apps for Android that didnt make it into my top 5. Here are a few well-known brands you may have been expecting to see on this list:
- Norton. Nortons Android antivirus is one of the best and most affordable options out there. But Norton doesnt offer a free plan. Still, if you want premium protection for your mobile phone or tablet, it doesnt get better than Norton.
- TotalAV. TotalAV offers a good set of free features for Android, but it lacks real-time malware protection. However, TotalAVs paid Android antivirus includes some pretty good features, including real-time protection, app locking, and a secure VPN.
- Bitdefender. I really love Bitdefenders full-scale antivirus suite, but its free Android app is only a simple antivirus scanner. While its really easy to use, its just not better than the rest of the products on this list.
- Avast/AVG. There are a few review sites that are still recommending Avast and AVG, but SafetyDetectives is not one of them. While Avast and AVG maintain a widespread web presence, they were implicated in some pretty serious privacy violations. You can go here to read more about the full story of how they were secretly selling user data.
Best For Android Wear Fans
- Protects Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS devices
- Online management and remote control
- Many bonus features, including VPN and ransomware protection
- Parental content filter cant handle HTTPS in many popular browsers
- Full VPN access requires separate subscription
- Support for iOS extremely limited
- Protects Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS devices
- Excellent scores from four antivirus labs
- Online dashboard manages security
- VPN requires separate subscription to unlock all features
- Password manager lacks advanced features
- Perfect scores protecting against dangerous and fraudulent websites
- New, streamlined mobile apps
- Hosted online storage for backups
- Powerful, self-sufficient firewall
- Parental control unavailable on macOS
- Online backup strictly for Windows
- Security protection limited on iOS devices
- Security for all your Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS devices
- Excellent scores in our hands-on tests
- Robust firewall
- New interface focuses on the user
- Some features not working at present
- Very slow full scan on Windows and macOS
- One lab test failure
- Mac edition less feature-rich than Windows or Android
- Even fewer features for iOS
Best Password Managers Apps For Android
While Google can keep track of your passwords on Android, you need a password manager for password control across all your devices.
Practice good Android app safety to keep your passwords secure. Though theyre removed quickly, shady apps can appear on the Google Play store and try to steal your passwords.
Which Free Android Antivirus Is Best
The best free antivirus for Android is Bitdefender. It offers in-the-cloud scannings to protect your device from malware with minimal impact on the smartphones resources. In other words, it doesnt drain your battery while scanning for cyber threats. So, we definitely consider it as the top choice.
Android: Best Private Browsers And Vpns
Private browsers for Android hide your browsing history and searches, while VPNs shield your internet connection from hackers, companies, and your ISP. A VPN can also prevent your ISP from throttling your data.
Sneaky apps try to trick you into giving them access to your data, so learn how to use Android permissions smartly. Other companies track you via your online habits, but a private browser keeps your activity hidden. The best browsers for security and privacy block cookies and other web trackers to protect your data.
How We Selected And Tested These Free Android Antivirus Apps
Its not a secret that most of the free security tools for Android have a highly limited functionality. For that reason, our experts aimed to find antivirus programs for Android that would provide the best protection possible. Of course, free of charge. These are the criteria that helped to pick our list:
- Brand. Unfortunately, small-scale brands neither have the financial capabilities, nor the resources to provide robust and free antivirus solutions. We have selected applications that are developed by the industry leaders which have years of experience and necessary resources to deliver effective Android malware protection suites free of charge.
- Malware detection scores. Each application weve listed is examined by the independent testing labs, like AV-Test and AV-comparatives. All of them show an outstanding performance in malware protection, identifying from 100% to 98.1% of the latest Android viruses.
- Android app. The free Android antivirus programs weve picked have dedicated apps which are user-friendly and easy to use. The best apps allow you to get a full system scan in just one click and doesnt have a negative impact on the phone battery.
- Security features. Many of the free security tools merely allow you to download the app and then require in-app purchases to use anything on them. Weve made sure that our selected Android antivirus programs would include as many free security features as possible.
Do Android Phones Need Antivirus Apps
It depends! If you are the kind of Android user who downloads a lot of apps and content from untrusted sources then having an Android antivirus by your side is not a bad idea.
However, if you only use trusted sources, for instance if you only download apps from the Google Play Store, or play safe in general, then you may not need an antivirus.
Nevertheless, these were our picks for the 12 best Android antivirus apps. Did you find these apps helpful? Dont forget to share your thoughts if you think we missed out on any mobile security apps.
Heres A Summary Of The Best Free Android Antivirus Apps In :
- 1.Avira Best free Android antivirus in 2021.
- 2.McAfee Excellent antivirus with anti-theft features and a Wi-Fi scanner.
- 3.BullGuard Cloud-based antivirus with a privacy monitor and anti-theft.
- 4. Panda Dome Good malware scanner with Android smartwatch compatibility.
- 5. Kaspersky Intuitive app with a good scanner .
- Bonus. Traced Privacy-focused app with a good Wi-Fi network scanner.
- Frequently Asked Questions about Antivirus Apps for Android.
Testing Results From The Labs
Do these Android antivirus utilities work? We look to three independent testing labs to find out. Almost all the listed products appear in results from at least one lab three show up in all of them.
Researchers at AV-Comparatives challenged each Android antivirus product to defend against over 3,000 prevalent Android malware samples found in the wild. In the latest round of testing, Avira, Bitdefender, G Data, Kaspersky, and Trend Micro scored a perfect 100%.
The latest test from AV-Test Institute hit 15 Android antivirus solutions with thousands of malware samples. Researchers also installed thousands more non-malicious programs, to make sure that the antivirus didn’t wrongly identify them as malware. They assigned each product up to six protection points for blocking malware, six points for minimal impact on performance and battery life, and six usability points for refraining from mistakenly blocking valid programs. All but one of the products we follow scored a perfect 18 points, while Sophos came close with 17.5. The real loser in this test was Google’s own protection, which earned a big zero for protection.
Additional Features Of Our Antivirus Protection For Android
The Android virus scan protects your phone from serious threats and provides reassuring assistance if you lose your phone. But our free virus protection for Android also includes additional advanced security features:
- Our Identity Safeguard offers identity protection and checks if your email shows up in a known security breach. This happens millions of times every year. Our phone antivirus will tell you:
- What does each app actually do? And what access rights does it claim to need to perform these tasks? The Privacy Advisor in our mobile antivirus app protects your privacy by helping you evaluate the risks.
- Antivirus Scanner protects against ransomware threats, which can be distressing and expensive. The app blocks all ransomware attacks.
- Add an extra layer of security to protect your most personal and valuable data from unwanted access. Our Pass Lock Password requires a PIN code before allowing access to confidential apps, should you wish to use them. Lock individual apps, or groups of apps. You can also schedule access to apps at particular times and locations.
For premium protection, our Mobile Security & Antivirus for Android Pro-version helps by giving you even more benefits.
Best Overall: Sophos Intercept X For Mobile
This app blocks calls and filters text messages for malicious links. Its QR scanner checks each link to make sure they are safe before connecting you or allowing a file to download. Sophos’ anti-theft tools let you remotely access stolen phones to wipe data or reset passwords, send text commands to the thieves and track where your phone is.
Sophos has a system scanner that looks for other security issues with your device and helps you secure them. This could be an outdated program or an app running in the background that doesn’t need to be. Sophos also isn’t overly ad-heavy, so you’re not distracted too much or experience slowdown of your phone.
The app itself isn’t the easiest to figure out how to use. It took me some time to figure out where all the tools are located and how to either enable or disable them. But it is impressive to see the number of features you get with this free app.
Malware Protection And More
All the Android products include an antivirus component that scans new apps and offers an on-demand scan as well. All but a couple of them can also run scans on a schedule, a feature perhaps more useful on Windows than Android. All of them also offer some form of safe browsing, to keep you from surfing to URLs that might try to plant malware, or fraudulent sites that might trick you into giving away your username and password for the login page they imitate.
All these apps also check your installed apps for potential privacy problems. Typically, they flag programs that have permission to do things like view your contacts, scan your call logs, learn your location, or send texts. If a communication app needs access to contacts, that makes sense. If a goofy game wants to paw through your private info, however, consider deleting it.
One of the first things a typical smartphone thief does is claim the device by swapping out the SIM card. Most of our recommended apps include some form of SIM card protection. Some of them lock the device on SIM card change. Others notify you of the new phone number, so you can still send those coded text messages to invoke antitheft features.
Blocking unwanted calls and texts used to be a common feature, but ongoing changes to the Android operating system have made it more difficult. Almost half our picks don’t offer this feature at present.
Do I Need Mobile Security Software For Android
Googles Android operating system is used on millions of tablets and smartphones worldwide. While Android is still a more controlled environment than the world of Windows PCs – where users can inadvertently pick up malware or a virus from any number of sources – malware can still sneak onto Android devices.
Google has brought in a range of features to help keep your handset safe, bundled together in Google Play Protect. This new security centre is claimed to keep bogus apps off your device, and prevent malware and scams. It can also be used to track down a lost device.
Most Android devices come with Google Play Protect switched on and it works automatically without you having to do anything.
While Google Play Protect is better than no protection in Android, early reports after its 2017 launch indicated that it struggles to detect some malware and other threats.
As with all security software, Google Play Protect will improve as it learns how to deal with threats, but if you want extra protection, go for a free or paid-for security app.
Best Free Antivirus Apps For Android In 2021
Free Android antivirus apps can help you protect your smartphone from the most popular types of malware, like adware, spyware, and other cyber threats. Yet, are those free antivirus actually free? We bet you have seen apps which claim to be free of charge and then ask to pay for every single feature once you install it.
In this article, we aim to show you that malware protection doesnt have to cost a fortune or in fact, anything. Check our list of the best free antivirus for Android to find out which one has the most suitable protection features for you.
Best Free Antivirus For Android In 2022
This article reviews the top Antivirus for Android with comparison. Check the details to choose the best android antivirus app for you:
An antivirus software , is used to detect, block and remove all types of threats to a device. The threats may include viruses, malware, spyware, bloatware, etc, that could enter your device, through malicious websites, links, or applications.
As we are living in an era where almost all our important tasks are being performed through our smartphones, it is very important to have software that can protect our personal information from being mishandled by ill-minded people.
Besides giving security to your device from viruses, antivirus software also gives you a tool to find your device in case of theft, lock or format it remotely, browse securely through their VPN, and much more.
What You Will Learn: