Antivirus Basics: What To Look For
Picking the best antivirus software for Windows means finding one that keeps your PC safe, doesn’t take up a lot of system resources, is easy to use and stays out of the way till you need it. Here’s what to look for.
Effectiveness. Antivirus software runs virus scans for known viruses and malware, of course, and can offer real-time protection. And it watches for shady websites and suspicious links to keep you out of trouble. It can also offer ransomware protection and monitor unexpected behavior that may be a sign of new and not-yet-identified viruses and malware. You want antivirus software that can successfully identify these unknown online threats without flagging too many false positives.
Light on system resources. You don’t want antivirus software that taxes your PC’s resources. If after you install the program, websites open slowly, apps download or open sluggishly or file copies take longer than expected, you may want to try another service. The good news is, all our picks offer a free trial to let you try out the antivirus program, so if your system feels sluggish after installation, you may want to keep looking.
Protection for other platforms. Microsoft is by far the biggest target for viruses and malware. But Android is second, with just under 1% of apps installed on Android devices with Google Play Protect in the potentially harmful app, or PHA, category.
Types Of Android Malware
Like Windows systems, there are various types of malware programs that attack Android devices. Some of these are pretty dangerous and can create havoc. Here are the most common malware types that attack Android devices:
- Trojans: these are the malicious apps that are disguised as the essential apps for the proper functionality of the device so that users easily install them. Such apps work in the background, spy on user activities, and steal sensitive information like login details, contacts, and more.
- Keyloggers: these are specially designed malicious apps that aim to record whatever the users type using the Android keyboard. The recorded keystrokes are used for stealing banking details, login passwords, sensitive messages, and more.
- Adware: if users are getting irrelevant ads on their smartphone screen, even on the apps that do not show ads, their device is infected with the Adware. It is designed to bombard the ads on the device screen so that users accidentally click on them and attackers can generate click revenue.
- Spyware: these applications are specifically designed to spy on users devices and collect information such as call recordings, browser history, chat history, and more. Spyware is usually used for extortion and blackmailing purposes.
Malwarebytes Security: Virus Cleaner Anti
Malwarebytes Security: Virus Cleaner, Anti-Malware.protect your privacy.Your Malwarebytes for Android or Malwarebytes for Chromebook free download comes with a 30-day trial of the Premium version. When the 30-day trial is ended, Malwarebytes will only detect and clean, but not prevent, infections. Its ad-free, forever.Note: Malwarebytes for ChromebookBenefitsPremium Detects ransomware before it can lock your deviceSafer browsing experienceOnly available for phones and tabletsFree Conducts privacy audit for all appsFinds and removes adware and malwareWhy Malwarebytes? We do.
Recommended Reading: Dji Mavic Pro App Android
Install A Mobile Anti
With cybercriminals always on the lookout for new ways to invade our privacy and steal data, your best security efforts will often never be enough. This is why the most effective way to protect your device is by installing a trustworthy mobile security app like Clario.
* * *
Learning how to stop malware on an Android phone starts with awareness and preventive measures. So, to protect your device against future risks:
- Invest in quality mobile security
- Keep operating systems and software updated
- Refrain from clicking on unfamiliar links in emails and texts
- Select strong passwords or use a password manager
- Steer clear of unsecured Wi-Fi connections. If you need to connect to a public hotspot, use a VPN
- Only install apps from trusted sources like the Google Play Store
- Take the time to read the fine print and app permissions to stay aware of the access you provide to app developers
And if you want to stay in the loop about the latest tips on how to get rid of malware on Android and be one step ahead of cybercriminals, make sure to read Clarios blog. Prevention is always better than cure.
Bonus: Intego Best Malware Removal For Mac Users
Integos macOS malware removal software provides significant improvements over macOSs built-in anti-malware protections. During my tests, Integos malware scanner scored a perfect detection and removal rate against every piece of Mac-specific malware on my MacBook Pro, catching files that macOSs built-in XProtect malware scanner failed to detect.
Intego also has:
- System clean-up and optimization tools.
- Parental controls.
- Data backup.
Integos firewall automatically adjusts protections based on your network activity, and the file backup tool provides cool options for custom folders, syncing across multiple drives, and scheduling automatic backups.
Intego offers a few different plans the entry-level Internet Security X9 plan only has a firewall and malware scanner, while the Premium Bundle X9 offers all of Integos features in an affordable package.
Recommended Reading: Android Ios Cross Platform Development
How Do I Use The Smart Manager Application To Check For Malware Or Viruses
Please note: if your device is running Android Nougat or higher, your optimisation app will be called Device maintenance, Device care, or Battery and device care. Find out more about Device care.
Samsung released Smart Manager in 2015, which helps users scan and optimise their smart phones in four areas: Battery, Storage, RAM and Security.The below article will show you how to use the Security function of Smart Manager to keep your device secure.Smart Manager automatically scans regularly for malicious software and provides an anti-malware solution through a partnership with Intel Security.You can also run an ad hoc scan at any time by following the below steps:
Tap AppsTap Smart ManagerTap SecurityThe last time that your device was scanned will be visible on the top right. Tap SCAN NOW to scan again.
Remove An App Affected By Malware
If by some chance you think your phone has a malicious app, you’ll want to go into Safe mode and uninstall the bad app. Remember, all third-party apps are disabled when your phone is in Safe mode, so it’s a great way to figure out what’s causing the problem.
First, completely power off the phone and then power it on again. When the Samsung logo appears, press and hold the Volume down key. If done correctly, “Safe mode” will be displayed in the bottom left corner of the screen. If “Safe mode” does not appear, repeat the previous steps.
To remove potentially malicious apps, navigate to Settings, and then tap Apps. Select the desired app, and then tap Uninstall.
To exit Safe Mode, simply restart your phone and it will reboot normally.
Read Also: How To Fax From Android Phone
Short On Time Heres The Best Malware Removal Software In 202:
- Norton: 100% malware detection rate with immediate removal of all malicious files. Its simple, fast, and easy to use. You can start with the cheapest plan.
A lot of products claim to offer the best malware removal tools and the best protections against malware attacks.
But I tested 57 different malware removal programs, and almost all of them were really bad, failing to detect and remove many of my test malware files . That said, there were a few that were excellent.
I ultimately found 5 strong anti-malware products that can find and remove all cybersecurity threats viruses, ransomware, spyware, keyloggers, rootkits, and all other malware. The programs here secure devices through a variety of different processes, like machine learning , real-time virus protection, and full-disk scans. They have been created to be some of the most advanced malware-fighting machines in the world, and theyre available online in both free and paid cybersecurity packages.
I researched, tested, and compared the top malware removal products based on usability, price, additional features, and how much security they provide against all types of malware infections.
Why Does Android Need An Antivirus
Your Android phone or tablet probably contains sensitive data like personal information, banking information, social media, personal pictures and files, etc. Its also a relatively expensive item, thus attracting thieves.
And when compared to other platforms like iOS, Android isnt all that secure of an operating system. Android OS is notable for having tons of indie developers, coders, and modders around the globe. Unfortunately, this also makes Android a playground for hackers.
Ransomware, spyware, cryptojacking software, surveillance apps, and other malware compromise Android users every single day. Android users also face risks from phishing sites, smishing links, and even pickpockets.
To keep your device safe from all of these threats, you need to have a good Android antivirus with real-time protection, web protection, anti-theft tools, and other additional features. My favorite Android antivirus is Norton, but its not free. If you want a free antivirus, go with Avira.
You May Like: Anti Malware Software For Android Phones
Viruses And Other Types Of Malware
Malware is malicious software that can sneak onto your phone. Written with the intent to cause harm, malware can include viruses, computer worms, Trojans, ransomware, and spyware.
Cybercriminals can use malware to access your personal data and, in some cases, subsequently use that sensitive information to commit identity theft or fraud.
Viruses are a particular type of malware that infiltrate a computer or other device and their programs. A cybercriminal may be able to install a virus on your device without your knowledge or consent. The virus may then be able to insert new, malicious code on your device that can monitor and manipulate your online activity.
What You Need To Know About Android Antivirus Apps
Even if you thoroughly research every app you download, it only takes a single click to download a malicious piece of software. While you might get lucky and only install adware onto your Android device, you may also expose your login credentials or banking details to cybercriminals. Unfortunately, Google cant keep up with all dangerous apps on the Google Play Store.
If youre like me and you rely on Android for everything, the consequences can be devastating. This is only amplified if you use your phone for business, as youll need an additional layer of security to protect sensitive information. Thats why I strongly recommend using an antivirus app to keep your private data safe. Out of all the Android antivirus apps I tested, Norton Mobile Security is the best at scanning and removing the latest viruses. It even comes with a WiFi and Google Play Store scanner, so youre protected from hackers and hidden malware inside apps.
Dont take my word for it though. You can try Norton Mobile Security risk-free with its 60-day money-back guarantee. And if you need coverage for your PC, Mac, or other devices, you can upgrade to Norton 360 Deluxe and get full security for your home network. No matter which plan you choose, its easy and quick to get a full refund if you find Norton doesnt meet your specific needs.
Also Check: Best Rpg Games For Android
Best Android Antiviruses In 2021
- Affordable antivirus protection for Android
- Low impact on system performance
- App lock
- Low price for paid plan
- Great real-time protection
- Doesnt scan apps automatically
- VPN comes with only 200 MB of traffic
- Excellent malware and phishing protection
- Powerful app advisor
- Free version available
- Secretly takes photos if somebody steals your phone
- Battery life optimization
- Free version has fewer features
- Phone locator can be difficult to use
- Doesnt have a parental control feature
- Doesnt offer a free trial
- Scans for, notifies you of, then deletes viruses
- Blocks contagious sites
- Doesnt include anti-theft and other security features
- VPN is too expensive
- No live chat or phone support
- Enterprise versions interface is convoluted
- Confusing presentation of products online
- Can be pricy
- Excellent free antivirus
- Plenty of data monitoring tools
- High battery consumption
- No clean-up or performance boosting tools
DataProt may earn commission via affiliate programs. That means that if you decide to purchase a product after clicking a link on our page, we may earn a small fee. All of our reviews are objective, unbiased and written before joining a company’s affiliate program.
Top Brands That Didnt Make The Cut:
There are many antivirus apps for Android that didnt make it into my top 5. Here are a few well-known brands you may have been expecting to see on this list:
- Norton. Nortons Android antivirus is one of the best and most affordable options out there. But Norton doesnt offer a free plan. Still, if you want premium protection for your mobile phone or tablet, it doesnt get better than Norton.
- TotalAV. TotalAV offers a good set of free features for Android, but it lacks real-time malware protection. However, TotalAVs paid Android antivirus includes some pretty good features, including real-time protection, app locking, and a secure VPN.
- Bitdefender. I really love Bitdefenders full-scale antivirus suite, but its free Android app is only a simple antivirus scanner. While its really easy to use, its just not better than the rest of the products on this list.
- Avast/AVG. There are a few review sites that are still recommending Avast and AVG, but SafetyDetectives is not one of them. While Avast and AVG maintain a widespread web presence, they were implicated in some pretty serious privacy violations. You can go here to read more about the full story of how they were secretly selling user data.
Read Also: Play Store App For Android
What’s The Best Free Antivirus
Even though Microsoft Defender isn’t the best, you may be reluctant to pay for antivirus protection, given that you can get it for free. As it turns out, quite a few companies offer free antivirus solutions, and some of them are quite good.
Most purveyors of free antivirus protection also offer a premium, paid edition. In some cases, the premium edition includes features not available for free, or offers VIP tech support. Others make the full range of features free for consumers, but require payment for business-related use. The best of these free antivirus utilities outperform all but the top for-pay competitors.
Does Android Have A Built
Yes, most Android devices come with Google Play Protect already built in. It uses various machine learning algorithms to detect malicious code. This serves as the main line of defense against malware if youre not using anything else.
Additionally, if you only install the apps that you find on the Play Store, every single submission is reviewed. If the reviewers notice something odd, the submission is rejected. However, this isnt a foolproof solution. There are many examples of malicious apps passing approval by downloading malicious code afterward.
So, using a third-party antivirus can provide you with better flexibility, features, and malware protection.
Read Also: Kindle Text To Speech Android
Panda Near 100% Malware Detection At Flexible Pricing
Panda Security made the headlines in 2017 when it received a 100% detection rate on a real-world protection test against malware, beating Bitdefender, F-Secure, and several others. The company offers three options in cybersecurity: Essential, Advanced, Complete, and Premium.
Key features: For malware detection and removal, we recommend Panda Dome Complete, which covers:
- Basic features like antivirus, firewall, external device scanning, and VPN
- Access to advanced ransomware protection
- A data shield to encrypt sensitive files, just like McAfee
- A password manager and cleanup tool
- VPN usage of up to 150 MB per day
Pricing: Panda Security is priced at $25 for Essential, $34 for Advanced, $50 for Complete, and $83.50 for Premium. Note that all of these prices include a 35% discount.
Editorial comments: Pandas products are rated 4.5 out of 5 on Capterra. One downside several users have reported is the infrequency of auto-updates. But its definitely worth considering if you want a high-coverage malware detection tool with several handy add-ons thrown in.
Learn More:Top 10 Application Security Tools for 2021
Quick Guide: The Best Android Antivirus App In 2022
Update January 2022: Norton Mobile Security isnt a free antivirus for Android, but Ive found that its advanced scanner detects all malware targeting Android. You can use Nortons free trial for 14 days to see if its right for you.
Read Also: Cheapest Data Plans For Android
Avira Best Free Malware Removal Software
Avira has a strong, fast, lightweight, and free malware scanner its offered with no restrictions in Aviras free package. Aviras scanner is just as good as Norton or McAfees scanner, completely removing all malware, and when I tested Aviras real-time protection, it detected every single piece of malware before I could install it on my computer. Aviras free plan even has ransomware protection!
Avira Free also includes extra features like:
- Web privacy extension .
- Performance optimizer.
- VPN .
- Password manager.
Aviras Safe Shopping browser extension is one of my favorite online privacy tools. It blocks trackers, invasive advertisements, and phishing sites which can steal your data. The extension can also find the best shopping deals for you, but this feature didnt perform too well during my tests.
Avira Free is my favorite free anti-malware suite, but its password manager and VPN have some frustrating limitations. Upgrading to Avira Prime gets you Aviras excellent VPN with unlimited browsing data, premium password manager, and performance optimization for up to 5 devices.